Keyboard lagging problems on the iPhone can be super annoying. It slows down your typing or may even result in misspelled words. From Messages and Facebook to Safari and many other apps, the problem occurs. A quick fix is replacing the keyboard, but you might not always want to do that. Instead, let’s look at some possible solutions to fix keyboard lag on iPhone and iPad.
- force restart your phone
- reset keyboard dictionary
- Disable Predictive Text on iOS Devices
- Toggle Slow Speed On/Off
- Disable All Keyboard Settings on iPhone
- Update your iPhone to the latest iOS version
1. Force restart your iPhone
The first step in fixing any problem with your phone is to reboot it. Performing a force restart gets rid of any minor glitches and can solve keyboard lag on iOS 15.
- On iPhone 6S or earlier: Press the Home and Power buttons at the same time until you see the Apple logo.
- On iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side button and Volume Down button for at least 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- On iPhone 8 or later: Quickly press and let go of the Volume Up button. Then quickly press and let go of the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo on the screen.
Check out this post to know more about force restarting your iPhone and iPad.
2. Reset Keyboard Dictionary
Sometimes there can be compatibility issue with your keyboard data from iOS 13 when you move to iOS 14. To fix this, resetting the keyboard dictionary is a proven way to troubleshoot keyboard lag issues on iPhone and iPad.
Of course, this will restore your keyboard dictionary to default, and any unsaved words or slang will be erased.
- go for Adjustment Mango reset,
- Tap reset keyboard dictionary enter your passcode, then tap reset dictionary,
3. Disable Predictive Text on iOS Device
The predictive text feature on the iOS keyboard helps you type faster by suggesting the next words you want to use. However, it can cause sluggish performance at times, so try disabling it as follows:
- go for Adjustment Mango keyboard,
- scroll down and toggle Close Predictive keyboard.
If you still experience slow keyboard on iPhone and iPad, try the next steps below.
4. Toggle Slow Speed On/Off
Motion settings on your iPhone control the aesthetics of your device usage. These include visual effects such as app transitions and keyboard opening and closing. Enabling or disabling such animations can help in resolving the laggy keyboard issue.
- go for Adjustment easy use,
- Choose motion to see a list of visual effects options.
- If Reduce Motion is on, Toggle it. if it’s already closedTurn it on.
See if this fixes your keyboard problems. If not, continue to the next steps below.
5. Disable All Keyboard Settings on iPhone
Your iPhone or iPad keyboard has tons of customization options like autocorrect, smart punctuation, auto-capitalization, spell checking, etc.
It’s worth disabling each of these features one by one to see if it fixes the keyboard lag issue.
- go for Settings → General,
- to select keyboard,
- Disable each option on the list, take a turn, and test your keyboard. Or, just disable all and see if that fixes the problem.
6. Update Your iPhone to the Latest iOS Version
You’re probably already using the latest version of iOS or iPadOS, but in any case, you should check to see if an update is available. Apple often releases patches that fix bugs such as keyboard lag issues, so you should install any updates as they become available.
go for Settings → General → software update.
If an update is available, follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
Hopefully, this guide helped you fix keyboard lag problem on your iPhone or iPad. If the problem persists, you can try using a third-party keyboard until Apple provides a permanent solution.